Hawkhost is one of the most affordable web hosting companies. It is based in Ontario Canada. I have been using their services since 2013 when a friend recommended them to me and I am going to give a genuine Hawkhost review in this article. Apart from their shared hosting, they also offer Cpanel reseller hosting. In addition, if you are looking for full control on your server, they have affordable VPS (Virtual Private Servers) that you can customize to host your websites or online applications.
- Data Centers; Hawkhost utilizes around seven tier 3 and tier 4 data centres located in Dallas, TX, New York City, NY, Los Angeles CA, Amsterdam NL, Singapore SG, Hong Kong CN and Toronto. As one of their customers, you can choose the data center with the lowest latency during signup. Most cheap hosting companies do not have this feature so this is a plus to you.
- Server Technology: Hawkhost runs their server using Cisco and Juniper network and this makes them extremely faster. In addition, they have UPS backups and diesel powered generators to ensure their servers are fully running even in extended periods of power blackouts.
- Operating System: All Hawkhost’s servers all powered by the most affordable, secure and open source software – Linux which is known for its compatibility and flexibility. Linux is the most stable operating system that powers millions of sites today. It less susceptible to memory leaks, allows multitasking while still giving website owners the flexibility to install virtually any software. Linux outperforms Windows due to its incredible network performance.
- Cpanel: Another notable feature I would like to point out in this Hawk host review is the Cpanel. All shared and Reseller accounts from this cheap hosting come with a free Cpanel license. You can use it to access File Manager, change PHP version, install databases and even administer your Mysql/Marida db’s using the PhpMyadmin. If you are running a CMS website powered by WordPress, Magento, Drupal or Joomla, Cpanel makes it easy to install the scripts and configure all the necessary files without using complicated command lines tools.
- Server: Hawkhost uses the most powerful LightSpeed web server which is well known for performance and security. If you care more about your site, LightSpeed server comes with free Mod security and DDOS protection. In addition it is lightweight and compatible with most software applications eliminating the need to install third party layers. In fact, this is why Hawkhost has a very large customer base because their clients can enjoy accelerated web performance due to the cutting edge speed of LightSpeed web server which comes with double the speed of apache and can support thousands of con current users.
- PHP/MySQL support: Hawkhost supports all PHP versions starting from 5.2 to the latest 7.2. Also, if you are a fan of MySQL and Maria databases, you will find them on Hawkhost fully configured with the latest security updates.
- Magnetic Hard Disk Drives (HDD) are quickly becoming obsolete because they generate heat, are slow and even consume a lot of power. Hawkhost servers utilize SSD (Solid State Drives) which are around 100-200 times faster than HDD. While a 15,000 RPM hard disc accesses data within 2.0 to 4.1ms, the SSD utilized by Hawkhost can fetch the same data within 0.1ms. Sounds fast aren’t it?
- Free SSL certificates. Hawkhost is an official Let’s Encrypt sponsor. This is an open source collaboration that offers free digitally signed SSL certificates. So, if you are planning to host a web store or an online shop Hawkhost is the best bet because you won’t spend extra cash on an SSL certificate. Let’s Encrypt SSL certificates will automatically renew so you don’t have to worry about tracking their expiries.
Hawkhost Domain Names
I will start with domains, although Hawkhost domain name price is not the lowest in the market, they give customers full access to their domains. They don’t lock your domains so you can easily change your name servers.
If you are hosting with them, that means you will be managing all your websites products in one control panel and therefore, you won’t forget to renew your products.
Hawkhost offers all top level domains including .com at an affordable price of $10.95 per year. You can also get ID protection at an affordable price on top of their 24/7/365 customer support.
Hawkhost Shared hosting
There are two affordable hosting plans offered by Hawkhost. The Primary Plan goes for around $2.99/month if you choose a 24 months billing cycle which is the best because it allows you to save a lot. With the plan, you are entitled for a 10GB SSD space, unlimited domains, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited email accounts and unlimited databases. You also get free migration support if you are moving from another provider. The Primary Plan is ideal for start-up websites e.g. personal wordpress blogs.
If you are running a lot of websites e.g. to cater for different niches, Hawkhost offers a Professional Package that starts from $7.99/month for a 24 months billing cycle. The Professional plan comes from unlimited storage on top of all the Primary plan features.
Also both plans are shell and SSH ready for those who like using Putty and command line tools. They also offer unlimited spam protected email accounts that you can access from your phone, browser or email clients like Ms Outlook.
Hawkhost SSD reseller hosting
Hawkhost has the best hosting Reseller Program. Their best reseller hosting packages come in three affordable plans. Bronze plan goes for $12.99/month while Silver and Platinum go for $25.99/month and $45.99/month. The choice of your Cpanel reseller hosting depends on the number of Cpanel accounts that you want to create, required space and WHMCs license.
Apart from the Bronze plan the other two cheap reseller hosting plans offer free WHMC license which you can use to manage your customers invoices and payments. However all of the Hawkhost’s linux reseller hosting plans come with WHM so it is easy to manage your customer accounts and resources without using third party tools.
If you buy reseller hosting, you can manage your customers and craft affordable plans for them and make some profit from the Hawkhost’s unlimited reseller hosting plans.
For instance, if you have 50 customers paying $50 per year that translates to $2,500 per year. With that amount, you can buy the Silver plan that goes for $25.99/month or around $312/year and pocket the rest of the money. This is ideal for web developers or designers with several customers.
Hawkhost VPS (Virtual Private Server)
Hawkhost is one of the best VPS sellers with affordable fully managed server products. Their semi-managed VPS start from $18/month with the most expensive going for around $58.50/month. Most website builders/owners go for the VPS route because they want to have more freedom with their servers. Hawkhost offers all those privileges to their customers via their rich VPS Cpanel. As a VPS owner, you can install, update, boot, reboot or even stop your VPS instance without using any complicated tools.
Hawkhost VPS gives you full root access and a choice of installing either CentOs, Debian, Fedora or Ubuntu Operating Systems. If you are planning to start a hosting business, CentOs is the best because it supports Cpanel and WHM.
As a VPS starter, Ubuntu will be a good bet because it is widely supported across the web and there are lots of learning resources from the internet. All of these VPS plans are hosted on Raid 10 SSD drives with 1gbit network ports to make them fast.
- You can pay for Hawkhost services with a PayPal account or a Credit card. They always send a reminder for upcoming and overdue invoices. Also they offer a generous complementary one week grace period for all invoices in case you are strapped for cash.
- 30 day Money back guarantee. If you feel you are not satisfied with the Hawkhost products, you can get your money back within 30 days. However, this guarantee does not apply to domain names.
- Hawkhost coupon – they sometimes offer coupon codes that you can use to enjoy their hosting at a more affordable cost. The Hawkhost coupon applies to most of their plans apart from domain names.
- 99% up-time guarantee. I have never seen any down time while using Hawkhost for around 5 years now and this is perfect if you don’t want to frustrate customers visiting your websites.
- 24/7/365 support via email, phone, discussion forums or knowledge base. Once you send an email to Hawkhost, they create a ticket automatically. They will then keep updating the ticket until you are satisfied with your query. Their response time is very fast. I have sent dozens of tickets to them and they have always assisted me within a few minutes.
Hawkhost does not offer script support. To put this into perspective, if you are creating a PHP script to calculate traffic data in your country, they can’t assist with that. But this is the same case with all hosting providers, although a hosting company can troubleshoot everything wrong with your account; don’t expect them to code scripts for you.
I hope I have covered everything about the Ontario based company in this Hawkhost Review. While choosing a cheap shared hosting can become somewhat complicated, this guide will enable you to make a proper decision to buy your hosting services from a renowned hosting provider with a proven track record. I stick to Hawkhost mostly because; they are polite and have used LightSpeed server on top of their super fast SSD driven servers and free Let’s encrypt certificates on all their plans. When it comes to monetization, they have the best WHM reseller hosting. Try Hawkhost today.